Saturday, January 24, 2009

Jazz on the Becky Thatcher in Marietta Ohio with Marty Alsup playing Sax

Recently, I came across some old music recordings from my days back in the Mid Ohio Valley and I couldn't help digitizing one of them and uploading it for friends and family to hear. Growing up, music was always an integral part of our family life and for my brother Marty it was particularily rewarding.

In the early Spring of 1978, I met with the owner of the Lafayette Hotel in Marietta Ohio and pitched him on the idea of staging a Jazz band on the Becky Thatcher, a showboat docked in Marietta Ohio, which they owned. I remember him saying how much he liked the name "A Touch of Class" and the rest is history.



That Summer my brother Marty, who has since passed away, came into town from North Carolina and we played together one Summer night on the Muskingum river with the other members of "A Touch of Class" (Dave Skaugerud:Guitar and Mike Lewis:Bass). I recorded the night on a cheesy cassette tape recorder, but I'm sure glad I did!

Some of my favorite music memories come from those nights on the Becky Thatcher showboat. There was always a pretty good crowd and I remember celebrating with friends all Summer long. I'd enjoy hearing from anyone who was there.

No comments: