Monday, April 25, 2011

Getting back into the Denver piano bar scene

I'm playing a lot more piano these days and I'm hoping to get back into Denver's piano bar scene. I like playing all types of music and especially enjoy playing at neighborhood piano bars. It has always been a remedy for whatever problems may be happening around me. It's so much fun to have people join in with their favorite Beatles, Billy Joel, Elton John and James Taylor songs.



I contacted several piano bar owners and they all ask to see an example of my playing on the web. I've been playing my whole life and in the past, I'd always just show up mid-day, play a couple of songs and get on the rotation. So, I guess I need to record a bunch of songs and create a website now.



To start, I dug out some of the old video equipment I used many years ago. First, I wanted to see if it actually still worked. Second, I wanted to see how well it integrated with today's internet world. Here's two initial recordings using a single microphone; at some point, I'll create a link to a bunch of songs.

2 comments:

joebrozenick said...

Great Idea!

After hearing your rendition of the tune from RENT, I heard a bit of Elton in that vocal of yours.

Really enjoyed it~ you were always bigger than life to me Glenn with your music and acting endeavors ;~)

Technology, yeah-----in the 80's all I needed was a cassette or 45 to get around. Well, carry on good fellow! Knowing you will find a way!
All the Best,
Joey Brozenick of the
Original 3rd Ave Inrregulars

joebrozenick said...

Levon, that is not a song you hear everyday--------then again who writes like that anymore?

I dissected that album during my OSU /High St. days at Bernie's and holding court with musicians of the 80's. None of us really liked anyone much excepting the Pretenders and more interesting groups like U2 that was just coming up.

Loved the Billy Joel idea. Failed the total quiz, but some songs out of it jumped out at me that were part of my lifescape back then.
Gee, I waited tables at a huge place called 'Casa Di Pasta' just off OSU campus. It had tables near the street, and all just like 'Scenes From An Italian Restaurant', I hummed it the whole time. I whistled the intro to 'The Stranger' making my way home through the alleys adjacent to High St. past the String Shop and The Agora all only memories now, I guess.